24 September 2008

Rhubarb chutney

Grandma had lots of rhubarb going spare, so we made it into some chutney (we don't often eat puddings, so I'm afraid you're missing out on rhubarb pie or rhubarb crumble). It's pretty good with fishy things, or with cheese and crackers.

You'll need:

lots of rhubarb - about 500g was about right
one onion, chopped
100ml vinegar (I used cider vinegar, as that's what I had in the cupboard)
200g brown sugar
fresh ginger, finely chopped (I used about an inch of ginger). I guess you could also use dried ginger, or some of the lazy stuff in a jar, but I just happened to have some in the fridge.
a pinch of salt

Trim the ends off the rhubarb, peel any grotty bits, and then chop into chunks. Chuck everything bar the rhubarb into a pan (I used a non-stick one to make cleaning up at the end easier), and bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes.

Add the rhubarb, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until it's thickened slightly. Pour into a sterilised jar (it makes about 500ml). It should keep for up to a year, I reckon. Once you've opened it though, keep it in the fridge.

(Sterilising jars is dead easy - just do them in the dishwasher, or rinse in hot soapy water and dry in the oven on a low heat - it's best if the jar's still warm if you're flinging very hot sugary chutney into it!)

No comments: