20 October 2008

Olive oil pastry

I wouldn't normally have done pastry with olive oil, but Clare was staying with us and is avoiding dairy at the moment. And I didn't have any margarine to use instead.

I used this as a base for an oniony pissaladiere, complete with olives, capers and anchovies.

You'll need:

8oz plain flour
6 tablespoons olive oil
a little salt
a little water, preferably cold from the fridge
a food processor

Chuck the flour and olive oil in the food processor, and then press the button (you like doing this bit). Pulse everything together, until it starts to look a little like couscous. Add a small amount of water, and pulse. Repeat, until you get to the stage of lots of small beads of dough (I think I must have used a couple of hundred ml of water, and that was more than enough - you don't want it too wet). Roughly pull it all together (don't knead), and stick in a tupperware in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.

Roll out as normal, onto a floured surface. It worked pretty well - and the olive taste complemented the onion topping brilliantly. I'm not sure it'd make great jam tarts though.

No comments: